Project Location
Madison, WI
Design Coalition
Historic & Specialty
Historic Renovation

Built in 1872 by William Heitkamp, an early Madison German immigrant and blacksmith, this 138-year-old building on Williamson Street became the Geiger & Williamson Blacksmith Shop by 1890. With the assistance of a historic storefront restoration grant from the City of Madison and restoration design assistance from John Freiburger and Design Coalition Architects, the building was returned to its original 1872 appearance. The completely remodeled second floor became a residence and the rebuilt first floor, with it's new "tree trunk" structural support columns and exposed stone masonry walls, is leased as a retail space.